Peeled – What’s Under Your Skin?
The Greatness of a Woman – Momma
I want to talk about Abigail, one of the greatest women in the Bible. How does one woman turn 400 mad, hungry, blood-seeking, vengeful men from destroying her and her family?
I. Why do we get angry and take revenge when we feel we have been wronged?
A. Overcome vengeance, because uncontrolled anger turns into murder.
Any place that does not welcome you or listen to you, when you leave there, shake the dust off the soles of your feet as a testimony against them [breaking all ties with them because they rejected My message].” Mark 6:11 (AMP)
1. There were 87 homicides in Baton Rouge in 2018. So far this year, the homicide rate in Baton Rouge is 23.
B. Revenge may feel satisfying in the moment, but it will be full of regret once accomplished.
C. Revenge affects the innocent people connected to the person.
D. No one wins by trying to get even:
1. Tragedies could be avoided.
2. Broken relationships may not happen.
3. Many tears would never be shed.
4. Many marriages could be healed if we would stop and think before we speak and act. (James 1:19)
E. If you win the battle today, you will still have to be on guard in order to win again tomorrow. It is a never-ending cycle.
1. David could have but did not kill Saul in the cave in I Samuel 24, but in I Samuel 25 he was going to kill Nabal and all of his workers. Why?
I believe David had plenty of time to think about Saul and had settled in his heart that he would not take revenge on Saul. When it came to Nabal, he impulsively acted until Abigail spoke and influenced him.
1 Samuel 25:10-42
III. Abigail teaches us to:
A. Always see the big picture.
B. Discern God’s plan.
C. Have courage and composure.
C. Humbly take action.
D. Speak and influence people even those more powerful than you.
E. Be a peacemaker and the ones you influence will come back and take care of you.