Heroes Right Wrongs
Listen and Love
I. How do you right a wrong that you have caused?
A. In the Hebrew prayer the Shema the word Shema means listen and is the first command.
B. The second command in the prayer is the word love.
C. Listen to God and love God. As we listen and love God, we will be able to listen to others and love them.
E. The Lord our God is one Lord: Perfect unity.
II. “Who have I in heaven but You? And there is none upon earth that I desire beside You.” Psalms 73:25
A. Is there something on earth between you and God?
1. A girlfriend, a wife, a husband, a child, self.
2. Desires or habits.
3. Possessions or pleasure.
4. Pain, hurt, or offense
B. True love and forgiveness comes from a heart of brokenness.
1. The potential of pain bears the crosses that Jesus allows in my life. “And whosoever does not bear his Cross, and come after Me, cannot be My disciple.” Luke 14:26-27
2. If we are not broken by taking up our cross and if Christ isn’t being formed in us then that causes the problems of self, flesh, worldliness and sin. It is still about us and not Christ.
3. The purpose of pain and the taking up of our cross is designed to break and kill those areas of our lives so that Jesus can live through us.
4. As an example, Jesus says that divorce only comes because of the hardness of our hearts. Matthew 19:8
III. The Good Samaritan – Luke 10:25-37
A. And who is my neighbor?
1. The person you can’t stand?
2. The person who can’t stand you?
3. The person you haven’t talk to, because they’re still angry and hurt because of what you did and said to them.
B. We build fences to shut out others.
1. Anger and bitterness.
2. Offense and revenge.
3. Fussing and fighting.
4. Silence and separation.
IV. What fences do you need to heroically climb in order to reconcile with someone you’ve hurt?
A. How to reconcile:
1. Admit how you hurt them.
2. Apologize and ask them to forgive you.
3. Accept that you have followed the Bible’s prescription for making peace and move forward whether or not they choose to. (Romans 12:18)
Next week: Mission Possible – Be real